Pages

Sunday 1 July 2012

Tea & Tractors: Auchtermuchty and the Fife Show

One day, my friend Marissa and I decided to visit the village of Auchtermuchty.
(The [ch] is pronounced like "Och, aye," or "gezellig." For my non-Dutch friends, click here for a definition of the latter.)
Something you should know about Marissa is that she is a connoisseur of tea rooms. 
So, the reason we decided to trek to this slightly remote little village (~45 minutes away by bus) was because she once saw the sign for this tea room on her way through Auchtermuchty to Falkland and had wanted to visit ever since. 
Her enthusiasm for tea rooms is infectious. I don't pretend to have as much knowledge of them as she does, but I have definitely learned to love them. In short, I was a willing partner in... tea-ing...?

Our objective.
There was a car parked in front of it, so I didn't get a better picture.
Marissa! :)
Inside, the Tannochbrae tea room was decorated to look like the 1940s.
This is Sir Jimmy Shand.
He was a famous accordion player who played traditional Scottish songs.
He grew up in Auchtermuchty, so they like to brag about him.
They played accordion music in the Tannochbrae tea room :)
 The following pictures are from around Auchtermuchty.


War memorial.


photo creds: Marissa

After tea and poking around a bit, we caught the bus back to St. Andrews. I got off in Cupar because the Fife Show was happening and I wanted to check it out. Plus, the Howies were there, so I could get a ride back home with them.
Marissa continued on to St. Andrews because she had a friend's soaking to go to.
Soakings are a St. Andrews tradition.
After a student has completed all of his or her exams, their friends gang up on them and pour water all over them.
I think we should institute this as a tradition at UFV.

Anyways, the following pictures are from the Fife Show.

The tractor show :)



The fancy dress class!
The Cat in the Hat with Thing One and Thing Two.
My favourite: The Licorice All-Sorts pony :)
The Queen and her Royal Guards.


I really liked this horse.
He had the prettiest, most flowy, gracefullest trot ever.
Apparently, these parade through the town of Cupar to the fair grounds at the beginning of the Show.
<3  :)

1 comment: