Pages

Saturday 19 May 2012

Lambs!

So, one cold, sprinkly-damp Saturday morning in April, Esther found me eating breakfast (porridge, naturally) and asked if I would like to help lamb the last ewe.
Of course!
I added lambing a sheep to my mental bucket list, put on my wellies and a warm coat and followed Esther out to the field.
She handed me a pair of long, bright orange plastic gloves to wear, and we stood watching the sheep and waited.
And waited.
But Dolores (the sheep) was in no great hurry. 
Eventually we went back inside for tea and bacon butties (sandwiches) and watched her from the comfort and warmth of the dining room window.
Finally Dolores lay down.
We re-donned our wellies and ginormous gloves and dashed outside.
After a couple more contractions, we could see the placenta with something inside it. The something turned out to be legs and a nose. Esther told me to grab hold of the legs and pull down towards the udder.
As I pulled, she tore the after-birth away from the lamb's face.
It was a wee boy! 
All covered in yucky, sticky yellow stuff, but his mama didn't seem to mind.
I am grateful that human mothers do not need to lick their newborn children clean.
After repeating the process, we had a lively little girly!

The one with the spotty white ear and the yellow gunk still on him is the boy.
Which means the big one is Dolores, and the other one is the little girl :P
Shooo cyoot! 
Trinity and her quadruplets were next door.
They were curious... 
*yawn*
:3
Bucket List: Lamb a sheep. Check!

No comments:

Post a Comment