Pages

Wednesday 18 January 2012

Catch-up

The boys and I went for a walk last week. (Last week?? Yeah, I guess it was...) 
The reason I haven't posted them yet is because I wanted to double check with Esther and Neil that they were okay with me posting pictures of their children so weird people like my friends and family could see them. (Just kidding, I love you all. Truly.)
Anyways, here's a few more pictures of life in Scotland. 

We're heading down in the direction of the old Quarry.
The stone from this area is a kind of orangey-pink.
If you go further North, you get granite, which is black.
James and I.
Photo credit: Thomas
Thomas and I.
Photo credit: James
James "riding" Asher.
Tom saw this...
...and wanted to try too... :)
Cattle. They were black, and in Scotland. So naturally they must be Black Angus cattle :]
(I have no idea, actually.)
Tom is saluting.
(In case you were wondering.)
A pretty house sign I saw in the lane.
Hehe :)

A few days later, I took the dogs up to the top of Lucklaw Hill. It is now one of my most favourite walks. The view up there is spectacular!

Those brown things are all dead ferns.
I saw a deer in there, as well as a fox. 

This scrubby stuff is all heather.
It will be gorgeous when it's in bloom. 
Bryn. 

Closer to the top!
These (very) spiky bushes with yellow flowers are all over the hill. 
Rolling hills and far, misty mountains. :3

Two mornings ago, it froze. No snow (unlike back home), but everything was all silvery and frosted. I took another trip up Lucklaw Hill. 

The field next to the house. 


The heather looked so pretty. 
Up at the top, the clouds obscured most of the view on one side.
However, the other side was crystal clear. 
Asher and I by the pile of stone at the top.
Good ol' self-timer. 

Tessa waiting with twitchy, wide-eyed anticipation for me to throw her stick.
Bryn just follows Tessa. He doesn't like sticks, it seems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have made a couple of forays into St. Andrews, but alas, sans camera.
Pictures will hopefully follow soon, as it is gorgeous! Everything is so old! Last Sunday, I arrived an hour early for church, so I went exploring. I found the old St. Andrews cathedral.
Amazing.
I think I will have to pay the however-many-pounds it costs to go in 
and walk among the ruins and grave stones.
There is also a darling little used book shop tucked away down one of the streets. That made my Saturday. I bought two books: Kipling's Kim, and Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope.

Speaking of church, my first Sunday at the St. Andrews Free Church of Scotland was wonderful. Everyone was so welcoming and friendly that I felt at home immediately. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone in my new church community!

12 comments:

  1. Yay! First comment! Glad you are having so much fun. Those views are amazing! I love the touch of frost - it makes the pictures look so old and antiquey. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE these pics!! wow jamie ... it still doesn't feel real to me that you're there ... but i LOVE seeing all these pics! It makes me want to go so badly!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. These pictures are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look like you belong there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that you loved the church! I love it that you decided to go to St. Andrews... I'll let my friend know you love it :). Seems like you are having fun!! Still jealous! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I can just imagine Mr. Darcy or the handsome and dashing descendants of William Wallace galloping across those moors. The frost is pretty too! AND THE PUPPIEEEEES! When I was in England the little kids always got me the most because they are so cute with their little accents and squeaky voices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jamie.... I'm feeling an overwhelming urge to hike those hills and breathe that fresh Scottish air. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks amazing there! Despite the glaring lack of snow. The boys and dogs are adorable, of course, and that view! Ah! Beautiful. I will have to visit sometime. Be sure to bring your camera next time you go into St. Andrews. Oh, and nice Wellies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you are having a wonderful time Jamie! Scotland is so beautiful. Are you enjoying the a capella singing at church? Is the family you are staying with from the church?

    For the Cathedral - definitely check out the Historic Scotland Membership pass - it is 45 pounds, but it lets you in to tons of historic sites for free and valid for a year (rather than paying the admission every time).
    http://members.historic-scotland.gov.uk/netcommunity/page.aspx?pid=212

    Also, check out the National Trust of Scotland. Same kind of thing - allows you in to different sites that Historic Scotland doesn't cover. It is definitely reasonably priced if you plan to go to a bunch of these different attractions.
    http://www.nts.org.uk/Join/

    Have a great week! I love seeing the pictures. I wish I was still there. :)
    Meagan Bremer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meagan, thanks for the tip! I will definitely look into that! :)

      Delete
  10. You saw a fox? Cool! The heathery hills are pretty cool too. Looks like a grand place to be.

    ReplyDelete